Spicy Rice and Beans2013-03-01
- Servings : 8
- Prep Time : 25m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 50m
Spicy Mexican Rice and Beans Recipe
A spicy side dish or vegetarian main dish. Can be made with lots of different variations and is tastes great hot or cold.
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- 2tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green or red capsicum (bell pepper), chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1-2 tsp dried chilli
- 850 mL stock
- 2 cups canned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups canned brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup TVP soaked in water to soften
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
Heat the oil in a large, deep saucepan
Add rice, cook until just turning opaque. Add onion, capsicum, cumin and coriander. Cook gently for 2 minutes.
Add chilli, stock, beans, lentils, corn, TVP and cover. Cook on low for about 25 minutes or until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed.
Remove from the heat and add the tomatoes, stirring in gently. Cover and stand for 5 minutes.
Fluff up the rice and serve.